Generic name: abiraterone acetate
Name of the brand: Zytigasa
Dosage formats: oral tablet (125 mg 250 mg 500 mg)
The class of drug: Miscellaneous antineoplastics
What is Zytiga?
Zytiga is a drug that works by reducing androgen production within the body. androgens, which are masculine hormones that may cause the growth of prostate cancer. gland.
Zytiga can be used in conjunction with steroids ( prednisone or methylprednisolone) to treat prostate cancer which can spread to various regions in the body. Zytigais are prescribed to patients with prostate cancer that can’t be treated through surgery or other medications.
It isn’t clear whether Zytiga tablets can be considered secure or efficient in women or children.¶
Zytiga tablets are not suitable for women who are expecting or are likely to be expecting. This medicine can affect a baby who is not born as well as cause miscarriage.
Zytiga is not a good choice in case you have an allergy to it.
Points to be considered while taking this medication;
- Mineralocorticoid excess: Carefully check on patients with cardiovascular disease. Monitor hypertension and correct hypokalemia prior to treatment. Check the blood pressure and potassium levels in serum as well as signs of fluid retention every month at a minimum. Adrenocortical impairment: Check for signs and symptoms of adrenocortical dysfunction. The increased dosage of corticosteroids might be recommended prior to or after stressful situations.
- Hepatotoxicity: It can be fatal and serious. Be aware of liver function and alter the timing, interruption, or stop of the dosage of Zytiga as directed.
- Increased fractures and mortality in combination with radium Ra 223 dichloride: Use of Zytiga plus prednisone/prednisolone in combination with radium Ra 223 dichloride is not recommended.
- Embryo-Fetal Toxicity: Zytiga can cause fetal harm. Remind males who have female partners of potential reproductive capacity to utilize the most effective contraception.
- Hypoglycemia is a serious condition that has been observed in people with diabetes pre-existing who are taking medication containing Thiazolidinediones (including pioglitazone) or Repaglinide. Check blood glucose levels in diabetic patients and determine whether dosage adjustments to the antidiabetic drug are needed.
Before you start taking this medicine, make sure to consult your doctor
Abiraterone does not intend for the use of children or women.
To ensure this medicine is suitable for you, inform your physician if you’ve previously had:
- the liver condition;
- diabetes (especially when you take pioglitazone or repaglinide);
- heart conditions, high blood pressure;
- a heart attack;
- the levels in your blood of potassium are low. or
- issues related to your adrenal gland or pituitary gland.
Zytiga could harm an unborn child in the event that a woman has contact with it while pregnant. Zytiga tablets are not to be handled by pregnant women or those who are likely to be pregnant. The medicine from tablets that have been broken can be absorbed into the skin.
Abiraterone could cause harm to a baby who is not yet born when the father is taking the medication prior to conception or during the pregnancy.
Make sure you are using efficient contraception in the event that your sex lover is pregnant or is able to become pregnant. Continue using birth control for a minimum of three weeks following your last dose.
How to take this medication?
You should take Zytiga as directed by your physician. Follow the instructions on the label of your prescription and go through the entire medication guide or instruction sheets.
Zytiga is typically taken once daily, and you can also take a steroid one or two times each day. Follow the doctor’s instructions for dosage extremely carefully.
The dosage of Zytiga you require could alter if you change to a different brand or strength of this drug. Be sure to use only the medication prescribed by your doctor.
Prednisone and methylprednisolone dosage can change if are suffering from an infection or experiencing pressure. Don’t alter your dosage or stop taking your steroid medications without consulting your doctor.
Consume this medicine by drinking a cup of drinking water.
It is possible to consume Zytiga in combination with or without meals.
It is recommended to take Zytiga with a full stomach. Don’t eat anything for at least two hours prior to or one hour after taking Zytiga.
Take the tablet in one swallow and don’t crush, chew or break it.
Your blood pressure needs to be checked frequently and you might require periodic blood tests. If you are diabetic your blood sugar needs to be monitored carefully, particularly in the case of pioglitazone and the drug repaglinide.
It is not recommended to stop taking Zytiga or any steroid medication abruptly. Follow the instructions of your physician on tapering the dose of prednisone.
Keep at room temperature, free of heat and moisture.
Usual Adult Dose for Prostate Cancer:
Regular formulation 1000 mg taken orally every day (in combination with methylprednisolone 5, mg daily orally)
A modified formulation 500 mg taken orally every day (in combination with methylprednisolone, 4 mg daily orally)
High-risk metastatic CSPC:
Regular dosage: 1000 mg orally every day (in combination with methylprednisolone 5, mg once daily orally)
A -Micronized formulation 500 mg taken orally each day (in conjunction with methylprednisolone, 4 mg orally two times daily)
-Patients receiving this drug should also receive a gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) analog concurrently or should have had bilateral orchiectomy.
Note: Different Zytiga formulations are different in their indications and dosages. Below are recommended dosing guidelines. Check the manufacturer’s product’s instructions prior to prescribing the medication.
Prednisone is used in conjunction with prednisone to aid in treating patients suffering from:
Metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC)
Metastatic high-risk prostate cancer that is castration-sensitive (CSPC)
If I don’t take a dose?
Do not miss the missed dose, and then take the medication the next day. Don’t take two doses at the same time.
Contact your doctor for recommendations in the event that you missed at least one dose of Zytiga.
If I consume too much?
Get medical attention immediately or contact toll-free the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I stay clear of while taking Zytiga?
Don’t eat anything for at minimum 2 hours prior to taking Zytiga as well for at least one hour after taking your dose. Foods can boost levels of Zytiga that your body absorbs, and could cause unwanted negative side negative effects.
Beware of taking herbal supplements that contain St. John’s wort.
Zytiga side effects
See a doctor immediately If you exhibit symptoms that indicate an allergy reaction Abiraterone: hives and breathing difficulties or swelling of your lips, face, or tongue.
Consult your physician immediately If you suffer from:
- Ankle swelling, feet, and legs pain;
- irregular or rapid heartbeats.
- A feeling of lightheadedness, as if you’re about to pass out.
- A severe headache, blurred vision the pounding of your neck or ear;
- discomfort or burning sensation after you urinate;
- Low red blood cells (anemia) – pale skin, tired sensation of being lightheaded or short of breath hand and feet cold as well as feet
- lower blood potassium Leg cramps constipation, irregular heartbeats, fluttering of your chest, thirsty or increased the need to urinate, numbness or sensation of tingling, muscle weakness or a limp sensation;
- liver issues nausea (upper right side), nausea, vomiting, dark urine, jaundice (yellowing of the eyes or skin) or
- Low blood sugar headache and sweating. irritation, dizziness, high heart rate, and feeling anxious or shaky.
Common side effects of Zytiga are:
- being tired and weak;
- feeling very hot;
- high blood sugar
- elevated blood pressure
- swelling in your feet and legs;
- anemia low blood potassium, anemia
- Painful urination;
- An abnormal results of liver function tests and other blood tests
- joint inflammation or pain;
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea; or
- signs of cold-like nasal stuffiness, sneezing, coughing, and sore throat.
This isn’t a complete list of all side effects. others could happen. Consult your physician to seek medical advice on adverse effects. You can report any adverse reactions to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What other medications can impact Zytiga?
It is sometimes not safe to take certain medicines simultaneously. Certain medications can alter the blood levels and levels of other drugs that you take, which can create side effects or render the medication less effective.
Discuss with your doctor your current medications. A variety of drugs may interfere with abiraterone, including:
- other prostate cancer drugs and other medicines for prostate cancer, particularly the radioactive Ra 223. (may increase the chances of suffering fractures if you’re taking Zytiga) and
- pioglitazone or repaglinide used to treat diabetics (may cause severe blood sugar hypoglycemia while taking Zytiga.
The list below isn’t exhaustive and a variety of other medications could influence the Zytiga. This includes over-the-counter and prescription medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements. The interactions of all drugs are included here.
Keep this medication and other medicines out of reach of children. Do not let your medications be shared with anyone and only take Zytiga in the prescribed indication.
Always consult your doctor to make sure the information presented on this page is applicable to your particular situation.