Generic name: abemaciclib
Brand name: Verzenio
Dosage forms: oral tablet (100 mg; 150 mg; 200 mg; 50 mg)
Drug class: CDK 4 / 6 inhibitors
What is Verzenio?
Verzenio can be used to treat hormonally-related breast cancer that is advanced due to hormones. Verzenio is prescribed for this disease only if your tumor is negative for a protein known as human epidermal Growth Factor receptor 2 (HER2). The HER2 protein is able to speed up the growth of cancer cells.
Verzeniocan be given in conjunction in conjunction with other cancer drugs.
Verzeniocan also be prescribed for reasons that aren’t listed in this guideline.¶
Verzeniois is known to create serious diarrhea and could result in the loss of fluids or even infection. Contact your doctor as soon as you notice diarrhea. Drink extra fluids and take anti-diarrhea medications like Loperamide ( Imodium).
Verzenio could cause liver issues, or even serious, sometimes even deadly infections. Call your doctor immediately if you experience symptoms like chills, fever, easy bleeding or bruising, hunger, fatigue or stomach pain on the right side chest discomfort, breathlessness rapid breathing, fast heartbeats, pain or swelling in your legs or arms.
To summarize, the following points should be kept it might
- Diarrhoea Verzenio can lead to severe diarrhea caused by dehydration and infections. Inform patients at the first indication of loose stools to start antidiarrheal treatments as well as to increase the intake of oral fluids and inform their physician.
- Neutropenia: Track your blood count before the beginning of Abemaciclib treatment, at least every two weeks for the first two months, then monthly for the following two months, and then as medically required.
- Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD)/Pneumonitis: Cases of fatal and severe ILD/pneumonitis are reported. Be on the lookout for symptoms of clinical onset or changes in radiological evidence of ILD/pneumonitis. Remove permanently Verzenio in all patients suffering from ILD of Grade 3 or 4 or pneumonitis.
- Hepatotoxicity: An increase in the levels of serum transaminase has been reported. Do test for liver function (LFTs) prior to starting the treatment using Abemaciclib
- Keep track of LFTs at least every two weeks during the first two months, then monthly for the following 2 months, and then as clinically recommended.
- Venous Thromboembolism: Watch patients for symptoms and signs of pulmonary embolism and thrombosis and treat the patient as medically appropriate.
- Embryo-Fetal Toxicity: It can cause harm to the fetus. Be aware of the potential risks to a fetus, and make the most effective contraception.
Before taking this medication, you must consult your physician
Verzenio is not a good choice in case you have an allergy to it.
Speak to your doctor if were ever diagnosed with:
- A fever, chills, or other indications of infection.
- kidney or liver disease.
You might need to undergo an unfavorable pregnancy test prior to beginning this treatment.
Verzenio use during pregnancy can affect the unborn baby. Utilize effective birth control to avoid pregnancy while using Verzenio for at least three weeks after treatment is over. Tell your doctor immediately if you are pregnant at this point.
It is not recommended to feed your baby while taking this medication and for at least three weeks after the last dose.
How to take Verzenio?
Follow the instructions on the prescription label and review all medication guides and instructions sheets. The doctor might alter your dosage. Make sure you take the medication precisely as directed.
The medicine should be taken daily at the same time every day, whether with food.
Suck the tablet completely and make sure you don’t crush, chew or break it.
If you experience vomiting shortly after having taken Verzenio, don’t take a dose again. You must wait until the next dose is scheduled to take the medicine once more.
Drink plenty of fluids when you take Verzenio.
Verzenio can trigger severe diarrhea that can be life-threatening if it causes infection or dehydration.
If you experience diarrhea after taking Verzenio, begin taking anti-diarrhea medications like loperamide (Imodium) to treat diarrhea. Drink plenty of fluids and consult your doctor.
Verzenio may decrease blood cells, which help your body fight off infections and assist in the clotting of blood. Your blood needs to be checked frequently. The treatment for cancer may be delayed based on the outcomes of the tests.
Place in a cool, dry place free of heat and moisture.
If I don’t take the dose?
Do not take the medicine for as long as you are able, but do not take your missed dosage if it’s close to the time of the next dose. Don’t have two doses in one time.
If I take too much?
For medical emergencies, seek emergency medical attention or contact for help at the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I stay clear of while using Verzenio?
Grapefruit can interfere with Verzenio and can lead to adverse consequences. Beware of the use of grapefruit-related products.
Verzenio side effects
Contact a medical professional immediately If you are experiencing symptoms warning signs of an allergic reaction, such as an allergic reaction that causes hives or breathing difficulties and swelling of your lips, face, or tongue.
Contact your doctor immediately If you are suffering from:
- severe or ongoing diarrhea;
- discomfort or burning sensation after you urinate, chest pain
- liver problems–right-sided upper stomach pain, loss of appetite, easy bruising or bleeding, feeling very tired;
- low blood cell counts — fever chills, tiredness skin sores, mouth sores, easy bruising unusual bleeding, and pale skin cool hands and feet that feel lightheaded or breathless;
- symptoms that indicate inflammation within the lungs — a new or worsening coughs, pain or hard breathing, wheezing, or feeling exhausted even when sitting down; or
- indications of a blood clot include pain or swelling of the leg or arm chest pain, rapid heartbeats being short of breath.
The treatment for cancer may be delayed or completely stopped when you experience certain adverse side consequences.
Common side effects could be:
- diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain;
- Loss of appetite;
- hair loss;
- being tired;
- headache Or
- Low levels of blood cell count.
This is not a comprehensive list of all side effects. other effects may also be present. Contact your doctor to seek medical advice on adverse effects. You can report any side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Verzenio dosing information
Usual Adult Dose for Breast Cancer:
In combination with Fulvestrant or Aromatase inhibitor
150 mg orally, 2 times every day
200 mg taken orally twice every day
Time of Therapy: Up to the disease progresses or toxicity is unacceptable.
If using this drug in combination with fulvestrant on pre/perimenopausal women, treat these patients with a gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist according to current clinical practice standards.
If used in conjunction with this medication The recommended dosage for the drug is 500 mg for days 1 15, 29, and 31 Then, once a month after that consult the manufacturer’s details for the product fulvestrant.
In conjunction with an inhibitor of aromatase, as a first-line endocrine-based treatment for women who are postmenopausal and have hormone receptor (HR)-positive human epidermal factor receptor 2 (HER2)-negative advanced or metastatic breast cancer.
In combination with fulvestrant, for women who are hormone receptor (HR)-positive human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)-negative advanced or metastatic breast cancers that have progressed in disease following the use of endocrine therapies
As monotherapy for adults with HER2-negative, HR-positive metastatic or advanced breast cancer that has progressed after endocrine therapy or previous treatment for metastatic cancer
What other medications can affect Verzenio?
It is sometimes not recommended to take certain medicines simultaneously. Certain drugs may affect the blood levels and levels of other drugs you are taking, which could create side effects or render the medication less effective.
Inform your doctor about your other medications including:
This list is not comprehensive. Other medications can interfere with Verzenio, such as prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Some interactions with drugs are not listed here. are listed here.
Keep this and other medications away from the reach of children. Never let your medications be shared with anyone else Use this medicine only in the manner prescribed by your doctor.
Always consult your doctor to make sure the information presented on this page is applicable to your specific situation.