Xelstrym Instructions For use
- transdermal system, CII
Xelstrym Instructions for Use contains information on how to apply, remove, and dispose of XELSTRYM transdermal system (patch).
XELSTRYM transdermal system (patch) is for use on skin only.
Read these Instructions for Use before you start using XELSTRYM and each time you get a refill. There may be new information. This information does not take the place of talking to your healthcare provider about your or your child’s medical condition or treatment.
XELSTRYM is supplied in cartons containing 30 patches. Each patch is sealed in a pouch protecting it until you are ready to apply it.
Important information you need to know before applying XELSTRYM:
- Wear only 1 patch at a time
- A new patch must be applied every
- Do not wear XELSTRYM for more than 9 hours. Use only 1 patch per day (per 24 hours).
- When you apply a new patch, choose a different application site from the one used the previous day to reduce the chance of skin reactions such as irritation, discomfort or pain at the application site.
- Avoid touching the sticky side of XELSTRYM with your fingers. If you accidentally touch the sticky side of the patch, wash your hands right away with soap and water to remove any potential medicine that may have stuck to your fingers. Hand sanitizer should not be used in place of soap and water.
- Avoid exposing the application site to direct external heat sources, such as heating pads or electric blankets, heat lamps, saunas, hot tubs, heated water beds, and hair
- Check to see if the patch has become loose after bathing, showering or
- If the patch falls off:
- Do not reapply the same patch. Fold the patch in half so that the sticky sides are together and throw away the patch as instructed below in Steps 5 to 7.
- You should choose a different application site and apply a new
- The total wear time for the first patch that fell off and the second replacement patch should not total more than 9 hours in 1 day (24 hours).
- Parents or caregivers of children prescribed XELSTRYM should instruct the child to tell an adult if the patch becomes loose or falls
Step 1: Select the patch application site (see
o upper arm
o upper back
o flank (sides of the waist)
Step 2: Check the skin where XELSTRYM will be applied. Make sure it is:
● Not damaged (cut, scraped, burned), irritated (rashes), or has any other skin problems
● Dry (not wet) and clean, with no powder, oil, lotion, or gel
|● Hairless or nearly hairless
If there is hair at the patch application site, do not shave the application site. Use scissors to clip hair as close to the skin as possible.
|Step 3: Applying XELSTRYM
● Carefully cut the pouch using scissors along the dashed line marked “Cut Here” (see Figure C).
● Gently remove the contents of the pouch and throw away the additional pieces of film above and below the
patch (see Figure A, Figure D).
○ Do not use the patch if it is cut or damaged
○ Apply the patch right away after removing it from the pouch
● Gently peel away half of the clear plastic liner. Avoid touching the sticky side with your fingers (see Figure E).
● Apply the sticky side of the patch to the application site you selected and smooth it down (see Figure F).
● Hold the edge of the remaining protective liner, slowly peel it off and smooth the patch down (see Figure G).
● Press the patch firmly with the palm of your hand.
● Smooth the patch to make sure it sticks well to your skin (See Figure H).
XELSTRYM patch should not be applied or reapplied with dressings, tape, or other adhesives.
● Wash your hands with soap and water after applying the patch (see Figure I).
Hand sanitizer should not be used in place of soap and water.
Step 4: Check XELSTRYM regularly during the day to make sure it is completely sticking to the application site. Also check the patch when:
○ using the bathroom ○ undressing or changing clothes
○ after sleeping ○ if sweating a lot
○ after bathing, showering or swimming
● If patch edges lift, smooth the patch down on the skin and press firmly with the palm of your hand. XELSTRYM patch should not be reapplied with dressings, tape, or other adhesives.
● If the patch falls off, do not reapply the same patch. Fold the patch in half so that the sticky sides are together and throw away the patch as instructed below in Steps 5 to 7. You may apply a new patch to a different application site. The total wear time for the first patch that fell off and the second replacement patch should not be more than a total of 9 hours in 1 day (24 hours).
● Parents or caregivers of children prescribed XELSTRYM should instruct the child to tell an adult if the patch becomes loose or falls off.
XELSTRYM Application Schedule for 9 Hour Wear Time:
|If you put the patch on at:||On the same day, remove the patch no later than:|
|6:00 a.m.||3:00 p.m.|
|7:00 a.m.||4:00 p.m.|
|8:00 a.m.||5:00 p.m.|
|9:00 a.m.||6:00 p.m.|
|10:00 a.m.||7:00 p.m.|
|11:00 a.m.||8:00 p.m.|
|12:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.|
Removing and Disposing Used XELSTRYM:
Step 5: After 9 hours, remove XELSTRYM and fold it in half so that the sticky sides stick together (see Figure J) to avoid accidental exposure to medicine.
● If any adhesive (glue) remains on your skin after you remove the patch, apply an oil- based product or water and soap to the skin to remove the glue.
|Step 6: Throw away the used patch in a container with a lid right away (see Figure K).||
Step 7: Wash your hands with soap and water after throwing the patch away (see Figure L).
Hand sanitizer should not be used in place of soap and water.
- Store XELSTRYM at room temperature between 68º F to 77ºF (20ºC to 25ºC).
- Store XELSTRYM in a safe place, like a locked
- Protect XELSTRYM from light and
- Keep XELSTRYM in their unopened pouches until you are ready to use
- Keep XELSTRYM and all medicines out of the reach of
Disposing of unused XELSTRYM:
Dispose of remaining unused or expired XELSTRYM by a medication take-back program at authorized collection sites such as retail pharmacies, hospital or clinic pharmacies, and law enforcement locations. If no take-back program or authorized collector is available, each unused patch should be removed from its individual pouch, separated from the protective liner, folded in half, and disposed of in the same manner as used patches.