Austedo Side Effects
Common name: deutetrabenazine
Product Name: Austedo
Class of drugs: VMAT2 inhibitors
What are Austedo Side Effects
Austedo side effects are the unwanted reactions associated with drug intake.
Austedo is used to treat autoimmune diseases (chorea)caused by Huntington’s disease. Deutetrabenazine is not a cure for Huntington’s disease and will not cure any of the symptoms.
Austedo is also used to treat the symptoms of tardive dyskinesia, a disorder of the nervous system. Tardive dyskinesia causes recurrent uncontrollable muscle movements, usually on the face (chewing, clapping, tingling, tongue movement, blinking or eye movement).
This drug is not a permanent solution to spontaneous motion problems.¶
Depression and Suicide among Patients with Huntington’s disease, Deutetrabenazine increases the chance of depression as well as suicidal behaviour and thoughts (suicidality) for patients suffering from Huntington disease. Anyone who is considering using deutetrabenazine should weigh the potential risks of suicidality and depression with the need to treat clinically of chorea. Be sure to monitor patients for the development or worsening of suicidality, depression, or any unusual behavioral changes.
The patient, the caregiver and their families should be made aware of the potential for suicidality and depression and be instructed to report any behaviours that cause concern immediately to the physician who is treating the physician. Particular care should be taken when treating patients with a history of depression or suicide attempts or thoughts or thoughts of suicide, which increase in frequency with Huntington’s disease. Deutetrabenazine is not advised for patients who are suicidal as well as in patients suffering from insufficiently or untreated depression.
The Austedo side effects that occur require immediate medical care
Alongside its necessary effects Along with its necessary effects, the deutetrabenazine (the active ingredient found within Austedo) could cause unwanted side effects. While not all of these adverse effects can be observed but if they do, they could require medical attention.
Consult your physician immediately in the event that any of these side effects happen while you are taking deutetrabenazine
- Pain or aches in the body
- difficulties breathing
- difficulties swallowing
- dry mouth
- the fear
- Feeling sad or empty
- The fever
- inability to remain for long periods of time
- Insomnia and lack of appetite
- the loss of equilibrium control
- Inability to keep interest or enjoy
- Mask-like face
- must continue to move
- Relaxed and calm feeling
- walking in a shuffle
- Drowsiness, sleepiness, or unusually tiredness
- Slow movement or reflexes
- Slurred speech
- stiffness in the legs and arms
- Tic-like (jerky) motions of the face, head the mouth, neck and head
- The hands and fingers shake, shaking and trembling. hands and fingers
- trouble concentrating
- trouble sleeping
- Trouble with balance
- unusual fatigue or weakness
- problems passing stools
Seek emergency assistance immediately in the event that any of the following signs of an overdose are observed while taking deutetrabenazine
Signs of an overdose
- Vision blurred
- faintness, dizziness or lightheadedness when rising abruptly from a sitting or lying or seated
- The eye is fixed to the position it is in.
- eye movements are not possible.
- more frequent blinks or spasms in the eyelid.
- mood, mental or emotional changes
- experiencing, hearing or sensing things that aren’t being experienced, heard or felt.
- shakes in the arms, legs, hands or feet
- that extends out of the tongue
- The shaking or trembling of feet or hands
- Uncontrolled twisting movements in the trunk, neck or arms
- strange facial expressions
There are no immediate Austedo side effects that require medical care
A few negative effects of deutetrabenazine could occur, and they typically are not medically relevant care. These effects can be eliminated in the course of treatment as your body adapts taking the medicine. Additionally, your health care specialist may give you suggestions to reduce or eliminate the effects of these negative side consequences.
Talk to your physician If any of the following adverse reactions persist or become bothersome or should you have any concerns regarding these side effects:
- blue, large, flat patches of blue on the skin
- Muscle pains
- the sore throat
- stuffy or nasal congestion
For additional details
Always consult your doctor to confirm that the information provided on this site is appropriate to your specific situation.