Generic name: azelastine
The brand name is Astelin
The class of drug: Nasal antihistamines and decongestants
What is Astelin nasal?
Astelin is an antihistamine which can be used for treating sneezing nasal congestion itching, and other symptoms of nasal allergies.
Astelin nasal spray is intended for use for children and adults who are at least 6 years old.
Astelin nasal can also be used to treat conditions that are not mentioned in this medication guide.¶
Follow the directions on the label as well as the packaging. Make sure you use the product exactly as it is stated.
Before you start taking this medicine, make sure to consult your doctor
Consult a physician before applying Astelin nasal spray in case you are nursing or pregnant.
What is the best way to use Astelin?
Utilize Astelin nasal spray according to the directions recommended by your physician. Follow all instructions on the prescription label and go through all the medication guides or instructions on the label.
Take note of and follow the Instructions for Use that are included along with your medication. Talk to your pharmacist or doctor If you don’t understand the instructions.
Before using Astelin Nasal Spray the very first time it is necessary to have to make sure that the bottle is primed.
Take off your blue cover on the pump’s tip as well as the safety blue strap just beneath one of the “shoulders” of the pump.
- Keep the bottle upright by placing 2 fingers placed on the shoulder of the pump unit. Place your thumb at one of the bottles’ bottoms. Use your thumb to push upwards and then release to begin the pumping motion. Repeat this process until you can see an ethereal mist
- To create a fine mist, you need to pump the spray quickly and press it with a firm force against the base of the bottle. If you notice a flow of liquid, your pump isn’t working properly and you might experience nose discomfort.
- This should occur within 4 sprays or less.
Your pump is now set and ready to go.
Using your Astelin Nasal Spray.
- Blowing your nose will clean your nostrils.
- Keep your head pointing down towards your toes.
- The spray tip should be inserted between 1/4 and 1/2 inch in one nostril. Stand the bottle up straight and point your spray tip toward the back of your nose.
- Close the other nostril using your finger. Push the pump for 1 second and then sniff lightly while making sure your head is tilted upwards and downwards.
- Repeat in your second nostril.
- If your physician advises you to apply 2 sprays per nostril Repeat Steps 2 to 4 above to apply the second spray for each nostril.
- Take a deep breath, breathe in slowly, and don’t tilt your head when you use Astelin Nasal Spray. This can help keep the medication from getting into the throat.
- When you are done applying the Astelin Nasal Spray, clean the spray’s edge with a dry tissue or a cloth. Place the dust cover and safety clip back onto the bottle.
Do not get this medicine into your mouth or eyes.
Don’t allow a small child to take Astelin without the assistance of an adult.
Consult your doctor if symptoms don’t improve or if symptoms become worse.
Keep this medicine in an upright position at temperatures of room temperature. Don’t freeze it.
Get rid of the medicine after you’ve used up 200 sprays, regardless of whether there’s still medicine within the bottle.
What if I miss the dose?
Take the medication as quickly as you are able, but do not miss your missed dosage if it’s close to the time for the next dose. Don’t take two doses in one go.
If I consume too much?
If you use too much Astelin nasal spray could cause drowsiness.
Take immediate medical attention or contact the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222 If you have accidentally swallowed the drug. Consuming Astelin nasal spray could cause severe harm to a child.
What to be aware of?
Do not get Astelin nasal on your eyes.
Avoid driving or engaging in hazardous activities until you understand the effects of this medication on your body. Your reaction could be affected.
Beware of drinking alcohol.
Astelin side effects
See a doctor immediately Get medical attention immediately if you notice symptoms warning signs of an allergic reaction, such as Hives and breathing problems or swelling of your lips, face or tongue.
Get your doctor’s attention immediately when you notice symptoms of an infection in your ear.:
- A ringing in the ear or a full-on feeling;
- drainage from the drainage from the
- difficulty hearing trouble hearing
Common side effects can be:
- drowsiness, tiredness;
- An unpleasant taste that you can feel in your mouth.
- Pain in the throat or mouth, chest pain
- nasal pain or discomfort, nosebleeds;
- signs of cold like congestion, sneezing and stuffy nose; cough and sore throat,
- fever, headache;
- vomiting; or
- Your nose is itchy and itchy around the edges.
This is not a comprehensive list of all side effects. other effects may also be present. Consult your physician for advice regarding medical effects. You can report any adverse reactions to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What other medications can have an effect on Astelin?
Utilizing Astelin nasal in conjunction with other medicines that cause you to become drowsy could increase the severity of this effect. Consult your physician before taking opioids, sleeping pills or a muscle relaxer or any medication to treat anxiousness and seizures.
Other medications can be affecting Astelin nasal as well, including prescription and non-prescription medications, vitamins, and herbal products. Discuss with your physician all other medications you take.
Keep this medication and other medications away from the reach of children. Never let your medications be shared with anyone else and take this medication only in the manner prescribed by your doctor.
Always consult your doctor to make sure the information presented on this site is appropriate to your specific situation.