Generic name: benzyl alcohol topical
Drug class: Topical anti-infectives
What is Ulesfia used for?
Ulesfia is a prescription medicine that is used to treat head lice.
Before taking Ulesfia, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to Ulesfia; any part of this medicine; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If your child is younger than 6 months of age. Do not give Ulesfia to an infant younger than 6 months of age.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Ulesfia with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
ULESFIA® (benzyl alcohol) Lotion is supplied as a white topical lotion containing benzyl alcohol, 5%. Inactive ingredients in this formulation are water, mineral oil, sorbitan monooleate, polysorbate 80, carbomer 934P and trolamine.
The active ingredient, benzyl alcohol, is a clear, colorless liquid with a mild aromatic odor. Benzyl alcohol has a molecular mass of 108.14 g/mol. The molecular formula is C7H8O.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Ulesfia?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Ulesfia. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If Ulesfia is taken by mouth, get medical help or call a poison control center right away.
- This medicine has benzyl alcohol in it. Benzyl alcohol may cause very bad and sometimes deadly side effects in newborns or infants. If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
What are the side effects of Ulesfia that I need to call my doctor about immediately?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Irritation where Ulesfia is used.
- Eye irritation.
What are some other side effects of Ulesfia?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If overdose is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Instructions for Use
Apply the full amount of ULESFIA Lotion prescribed by your healthcare provider for each of your 2 applications one week apart. ULESFIA Lotion gets rid of lice but does not get rid of lice eggs so a second application is needed one week (7 days) after the first application.
ULESFIA Lotion comes in a single 8 oz. bottle, and in a 2 pack containing two 8 oz. bottles with a lice comb. For different hair lengths, use the following as a guide for the amount of ULESFIA Lotion you may need to cover the hair and scalp completely:
|Hair Length||Amount of ULESFIA Lotion to apply each time|
|8 oz. bottle|
|Short-up to 2 inches||up to ¾ of the bottle|
|Short-2-4 inches||up to 1 bottle|
|Medium-4-8 inches||up to 1½ bottles|
|Medium-8-16 inches||up to 3 bottles|
|Long-16-22 inches||up to 4 bottles|
|Long-22 inches or more||up to 6 bottles|
- Cover your face and eyes with a towel and keep your eyes closed tightly.
- Apply ULESFIA Lotion directly to dry scalp and dry hair.
- ULESFIA Lotion must cover your entire scalp and all scalp hair. Have an adult help you apply ULESFIA Lotion.
- Massage ULESFIA Lotion into your hair and scalp.
- When your head is completely covered with enough ULESFIA Lotion, dripping will happen. Protect your eyes and skin from these drips with your towel.
- Be sure to apply ULESFIA Lotion to the area behind your ears.
- Be sure to apply ULESFIA Lotion to the back of your neck.
If not enough ULESFIA Lotion is used, some lice may escape treatment. It is important to use the full amount of ULESFIA Lotion prescribed by your healthcare provider.
Correct application of ULESFIA Lotion.
- Allow ULESFIA Lotion to stay on your hair for 10 minutes. Use a timer or clock.
- Start timing after you have completely covered your hair and scalp with ULESFIALotion.
- After 10 minutes, completely rinse ULESFIA Lotion from your hair and scalp with water.
- You or anyone who helps you apply ULESFIA Lotion should wash hands after application.
- You can shampoo your hair right after the application.
- A lice comb may be used to remove the dead lice after both applications.
One week (7 days) after your first application, repeat the steps above to help get rid of lice that hatched from eggs.
How do I store and/or throw out Ulesfia?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
SRC: NLM .