Generic name: travoprost ophthalmic solution 0.004%
Drug class: Ophthalmic glaucoma agents
Medically reviewed by A Ras MD.
What is Travatan Z?
Travatan Z is a prescription medicine that is used to treat glaucoma. It is used to lower high eye pressure.
Travoprost is a synthetic prostaglandin F analog. Its chemical name is [1R-[1α(Z),2β(1E,3R*),3α,5α]]-7-[3,5-Dihydroxy-2-[3-hydroxy-4-[3-(trifluoromethyl) phenoxy]-1-butenyl]cyclopentyl]-5-heptenoic acid, 1-methylethylester. It has a molecular formula of C26H35F3O6 and a molecular weight of 500.55 g/mol. The chemical structure of travoprost is:
Travoprost is a clear, colorless to slightly yellow oil that is very soluble in acetonitrile, methanol, octanol, and chloroform. It is practically insoluble in water.
TRAVATAN Z is supplied as sterile, buffered aqueous solution of travoprost with a pH of approximately 5.7 and an osmolality of approximately 290 mOsmol/kg.
TRAVATAN Z contains Active: travoprost 0.04 mg/mL; Inactives: polyoxyl 40 hydrogenated castor oil, sofZia® (boric acid, propylene glycol, sorbitol, zinc chloride), sodium hydroxide and/or hydrochloric acid (to adjust pH), and purified water, USP. Preserved in the bottle with an ionic buffered system, sofZia®.
Mechanism of Action
Travoprost free acid, a prostaglandin analog is a selective FP prostanoid receptor agonist, which is believed to reduce IOP by increasing uveoscleral outflow. The exact mechanism of action is unknown at this time.
Before taking Travatan Z, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to Travatan Z; any part of this medicine; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Travatan Z with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Travatan Z?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Travatan Z. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Use care when driving or doing other tasks that call for clear eyesight.
- Have your eye pressure checked. Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you have an eye infection, eye injury, or will be having eye surgery.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Travatan Z while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is Travatan Z best taken?
Use Travatan Z as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the eye only.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Take out contact lenses before using Travatan Z. Lenses may be put back in 15 minutes after Travatan Z is given. Do not put contacts back in if your eyes are irritated or infected.
- Do not touch the container tip to the eye, lid, or other skin.
- Tilt your head back and drop drug into the eye.
- After use, keep your eyes closed. Put pressure on the inside corner of the eye. Do this for 1 to 2 minutes. This keeps the drug in your eye.
- Blot extra solution from the eyelid.
- If more than 1 drug is being used in the same eye, use each drug at least 5 minutes apart.
- Take as you have been told by your doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses or extra doses.
What are the side effects of Travatan Z that I need to call my doctor about immediately?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
- Eye discharge.
- Eye color may change to a brown color. This change may be long-lasting. Eye color changes may happen a few months to years after starting Travatan Z. If eye color changes, call the doctor.
What are some other side effects of Travatan Z?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Eye irritation.
- Feeling that something is in the eye.
- This medicine may cause eyelash changes like dark eyelashes, thickness, or more eyelashes. Most of the time, these changes go back to normal after Travatan Z is stopped.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If overdose is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Travatan Z?
- Store in a refrigerator or at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
PRINCIPAL DISPLAY PANEL
- NDC 0078-0946-25
- Rx Only
- TRAVATAN Z®
- (travoprost ophthalmic solution) 0.004%
- 5 mL
SRC: NLM .