What is Primsol used for?
Primsol is a prescription medicine that is used to treat bacterial infections.
PRIMSOL (trimethoprim hydrochloride oral solution) is a solution of the synthetic antibacterial trimethoprim in water prepared with the aid of hydrochloric acid. Each 5 mL for oral administration contains trimethoprim hydrochloride equivalent to 50 mg trimethoprim and the inactive ingredients bubble gum flavor, fructose, glycerin, methylparaben, monoammonium glycyrrhizinate, povidone, propylparaben, propylene glycol, saccharin sodium, sodium benzoate, sorbitol, water and hydrochloric acid and/or sodium hydroxide to adjust pH to a range of 3.0 – 5.0. Trimethoprim is 2,4-diamino-5-(3,4,5-trimethoxybenzyl) pyrimidine. Trimethoprim is a white to cream-colored, odorless, bitter compound with a molecular formula of C14H18N4O3 and a molecular weight of 290.32 and the following structural formula:
Before taking Primsol, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to Primsol; any part of this medicine; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have anemia caused by a lack of folic acid.
- If you have kidney disease.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Primsol with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Primsol?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Primsol. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take Primsol.
- Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
- This medicine may make you sunburn more easily. Use care if you will be in the sun. Tell your doctor if you sunburn easily while taking Primsol.
- If you are 65 or older, use Primsol with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Primsol while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is Primsol best taken?
Use Primsol as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Keep taking Primsol as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Primsol. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Primsol.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are the side effects of Primsol that I need to call my doctor about immediately?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of methemoglobinemia like a blue or gray color of the lips, nails, or skin; a heartbeat that does not feel normal; seizures; very bad dizziness or passing out; very bad headache; feeling very sleepy; feeling tired or weak; or shortness of breath. This effect is rare but may be deadly if it happens.
- Signs of electrolyte problems like mood changes, confusion, muscle pain or weakness, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, seizures, not hungry, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Fever or chills.
- Sore throat.
- Pale skin.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Purple patches on the skin or mouth.
- Diarrhea is common with antibiotics. Rarely, a severe form called C diff–associated diarrhea (CDAD) may happen. Sometimes, this has led to a deadly bowel problem (colitis). CDAD may happen during or a few months after taking antibiotics. Call your doctor right away if you have stomach pain, cramps, or very loose, watery, or bloody stools. Check with your doctor before treating diarrhea.
What are some other side effects of Primsol?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If overdose is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Primsol?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
PRINCIPAL DISPLAY PANEL – 473 ML BOTTLE LABEL
- NDC 13551-501-05
- PRIMSOL® solution
- 50 mg/5 mL
- Rx Only
- 473 mL (1 pint)
- FSC laboratories
SRC: NLM .