What is Nystop used for?
Nystop is a topical antifungal medication that is used to treat fungal infections of the skin.
Nystatin is a polyene antifungal antibiotic obtained from Streptomyces nursei. The molecular formula for Nystatin is C47H75NO17. The molecular weight of Nystatin is 926.1.
Nystatin Topical Powder USP is for dermatologic use.
Nystatin Topical Powder USP contains 100,000 USP nystatin units per gram dispersed in talc.
Before taking Nystop, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to Nystop; any part of this medicine; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Nystop with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Nystop?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Nystop. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Nystop while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is Nystop best taken?
Use Nystop as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- Do not take Nystop by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Sprinkle powder over affected skin.
- If using for athlete’s foot, you may sprinkle in shoes and socks.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are the side effects of Nystop that I need to call my doctor about immediately?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Irritation where Nystop is used.
What are some other side effects of Nystop?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If overdose is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Nystop?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Protect from heat.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
PRINCIPAL DISPLAY PANEL- 60 GRAMS LABEL
- Rx Only
- NDC 0574-2008-02
- Nystatin Topical Powder, USP
- 100,000 USP Units Per Gram
- USUAL DOSAGE: Apply to affected area 2 or 3 times daily.
- STORAGE: Store at controlled room temperature 15° – 30°C (59° – 86°); avoid excessive heat (40°C; 104°F).
- Net Weight
- 60 grams
SRC: NLM .