What is Mitosol used for?
Mitosol is a prescription medicine that is used during eye surgery.
Mitomycin is an antibiotic isolated from the broth of Streptomyces verticillus Yingtanensis which has been shown to have antimetabolic activity.
Mitomycin is a blue-violet crystalline powder with the molecular formula of C15H18N4O5 and a molecular weight of 334.33. Its chemical name is 7-amino-9α-methoxymitosane and it has the following structural formula:
Mitosol® is a sterile lyophilized mixture of mitomycin and mannitol, which, when reconstituted with Sterile Water for Injection, provides a solution for application in glaucoma filtration surgery. Mitosol® is supplied in vials containing 0.2 mg of mitomycin. Each vial also contains mannitol 0.4 mg, at a 1:2 ratio of mitomycin to mannitol. Each mL of reconstituted solution contains 0.2 mg mitomycin and has a pH between 5.0 and 8.0.
Mechanism of Action
Mitosol® inhibits the synthesis of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). The guanine and cytosine content correlates with the degree of mitomycin-induced cross-linking. Cellular RNA and protein synthesis may also be suppressed.
Before taking Mitosol, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to Mitosol; any part of this medicine; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not use Mitosol if you are pregnant.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Mitosol with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Mitosol?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Mitosol. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
How is Mitosol best taken?
Use Mitosol as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- This medicine will be given to you by a doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are the side effects of Mitosol that I need to call my doctor about immediately?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
What are some other side effects of Mitosol?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If overdose is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Mitosol?
- If you need to store Mitosol at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
PRINCIPAL DISPLAY PANEL – VIAL LABEL
(mitomycin for solution)
- 0.2 mg/vial
- Lyophilized Mitomycin for
Protect from light.
Single Use Vial
Dose: See Package Insert.
- Rx Only
PRINCIPAL DISPLAY PANEL – OUTER KIT PACKAGE
(mitomycin for solution)
- Kit for Ophthalmic Use
- Manufactured for:
Mobius Therapeutics, LLC
1000 Executive Parkway
St. Louis, MO 63141 USA
- Rx ONLY
SRC: NLM .