Generic name: estramustine
Brand name: Emcyt
Dosage form: oral capsule (140 mg)
Drug classes: Hormones / antineoplastics, Mitotic inhibitors
Medically reviewed by A Ras MD.
What is estramustine?
Estramustine is used to treat prostate cancer. Estramustine may be given to you for other reasons.
Estramustine phosphate sodium, an antineoplastic agent, is an off-white powder readily soluble in water. EMCYT Capsules are white and opaque, each containing estramustine phosphate sodium as the disodium salt monohydrate equivalent to 140 mg estramustine phosphate, for oral administration. Each capsule also contains magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate, and talc. Gelatin capsule shells contain the following pigment: titanium dioxide.
Chemically, estramustine phosphate sodium is estra-1,3,5(10)-triene-3,17-diol(17β)-,3-[bis(2-chloroethyl)carbamate] 17-(dihydrogen phosphate), disodium salt, monohydrate. It is also referred to as estradiol 3-[bis(2-chloroethyl)carbamate] 17-(dihydrogen phosphate), disodium salt, monohydrate. Estramustine phosphate sodium has an empiric formula of C23H30Cl2NNa2O6P•H2O, a calculated molecular weight of 582.4, and the following structural formula:
Before taking estramustine, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to estramustine; any part of this medicine; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have a blood clot, have ever had a blood clot, or have been told you are at risk of getting a blood clot.
- If you are a woman. This medicine is not approved for use in women. If you are a woman using estramustine, talk with your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with estramustine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take estramustine with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take estramustine?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take estramustine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- High blood pressure has happened with estramustine. Have your blood pressure checked as you have been told by your doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take estramustine.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- This medicine may raise the chance of very bad and sometimes deadly blood clots like heart attack. The chance may be higher in people who have ever had a blood clot. Talk with your doctor.
- If you are a man and have sex with a female who could get pregnant, protect her from pregnancy. Use birth control that you can trust.
How is estramustine best taken?
Use estramustine as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Keep taking estramustine as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Take on an empty stomach. Take 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals.
- Take with a full glass of water.
- Do not eat or drink dairy products or take calcium at the same time as estramustine. They may make estramustine not work as well. If you have questions, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
- You will need to take special care when handling estramustine. Check with the doctor or pharmacist to see how to handle estramustine.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are the side effects of estramustine that I need to call my doctor about immediately?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Signs of electrolyte problems like mood changes, confusion, muscle pain or weakness, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, seizures, not hungry, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- This medicine may cause you to swell or keep fluid in your body. Tell your doctor if you have swelling, weight gain, or trouble breathing.
- Call your doctor right away if you have signs of a blood clot like chest pain or pressure; coughing up blood; shortness of breath; swelling, warmth, numbness, change of color, or pain in a leg or arm; or trouble speaking or swallowing.
What are some other side effects of estramustine?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach.
- Tender breasts.
- Enlarged breasts.
- Not able to get or keep an erection.
- Leg cramps.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If overdose is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out estramustine?
- Store in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
PRINCIPAL DISPLAY PANEL – 140 MG CAPSULE BOTTLE CARTON
- NDC 0013-0132-02
- 140 mg*
- estramustine phosphate
- Store in refrigerator at 36° to 46°F
(2° to 8°C).
- 100 Capsules
SRC: NLM .