Generic name: cyclopentolate and phenylephrine ophthalmic
Drug class: Mydriatics
Medically reviewed by A Ras MD.
What is Cyclomydril?
Cyclomydril is a prescription medicine that is used to makes the eye pupils larger.
CYCLOMYDRIL® (cyclopentolate hydrochloride and phenylephrine hydrochloride ophthalmic solution) is a mydriatic prepared as a sterile topical ophthalmic solution. The active ingredients are represented by the chemical structures:
2-(Dimethylamino)ethyl 1 – hydroxy-α-phenylcyclopentaneacetate hydrochloride)
3-hydroxy-α[(methylamino)-methyl]-, Benzenemethanol, hydrochloride (R)-.
Each mL of CYCLOMYDRIL® (cyclopentolate hydrochloride and phenylephrine hydrochloride ophthalmic solution) contains: Active: cyclopentolate hydrochloride 0.2%, phenylephrine hydrochloride 1%. Preservative: benzalkonium chloride 0.01%. Inactives: edetate disodium, boric acid, hydrochloric acid and /or sodium carbonate (to adjust pH), purified water.b
Before taking Cyclomydril, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to Cyclomydril; any part of this medicine; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have narrow-angle glaucoma.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Cyclomydril with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Cyclomydril?
For all patients taking Cyclomydril:
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Cyclomydril. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for clear eyesight while your pupils are dilated.
- Bright lights may bother you. Wear sunglasses.
- Use Cyclomydril with care in children. They may have more side effects. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Cyclomydril while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- Watch infants closely for at least 30 minutes after giving Cyclomydril.
- If Cyclomydril is used on an infant, do not feed the infant until 4 hours after the exam is over.
How is Cyclomydril best taken?
Use Cyclomydril as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the eye only.
- Your doctor will give Cyclomydril.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are the side effects of Cyclomydril that I need to call my doctor about immediately?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
- A fast heartbeat.
- Very bad headache.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Feeling confused.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Change in balance.
- Trouble walking.
- Slurred speech.
What are some other side effects of Cyclomydril?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Eye irritation.
- Blurred eyesight.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If overdose is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Cyclomydril?
- If you need to store Cyclomydril at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
PRINCIPAL DISPLAY PANEL
- NDC 0065-0359-05
- Alcon Cyclomydril®
- 5 mL Sterile
Sterile Ophthalmic Solution
- USUAL DOSAGE: Instill one drop
in each eye every five to ten
minutes. Read enclosed insert.
SRC: NLM .