Generic name: Technetium Tc 99m Mebrofenin
Drug class: Radiologic conjugating agents
Medically reviewed by A Ras MD.
What is Choletec?
Choletec is a prescription medicine that is used with a special imaging test.
Each reaction vial contains a nonradioactive, sterile, nonpyrogenic mixture of 45 mg mebrofenin, 0.54 mg (minimum) stannous fluoride dihydrate, SnF2•2H2O and 1.03 mg total tin, maximum (as stannous fluoride dihydrate, SnF2•2H2O), not more than 5.2 mg methylparaben, and 0.58 mg propylparaben. The pH is adjusted with sodium hydroxide or hydrochloric acid prior to lyophilization. The contents of the vial are lyophilized and sealed under nitrogen at the time of manufacture.
The pH of the reconstituted product is 4.2 to 5.7.
The structure of mebrofenin (2,2’-[[2-[(3-Bromo-2,4,6-trimethylphenyl)-amino]-2-oxoethyl]imino] bisacetic acid) is shown below:
When sterile, pyrogen-free sodium pertechnetate Tc 99m injection is added to the vial, the diagnostic agent Technetium Tc 99m Mebrofenin is formed for administration by intravenous injection.
Before taking Choletec, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to Choletec; any part of this medicine; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed after the test is over for as long as your doctor has told you.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Choletec with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Choletec?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Choletec. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine is radioactive. You will need to follow what the doctor has told you to lessen being exposed to Choletec.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Choletec while you are pregnant.
How is Choletec best taken?
Use Choletec as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot into a vein.
- Do not eat for at least 4 hours before your test.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are the side effects of Choletec that I need to call my doctor about immediately?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Choletec?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If overdose is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Choletec?
- If you need to store Choletec at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
SRC: NLM .