Generic name: Benzocaine, Butamben, and Tetracaine
Drug class: Mouth and throat products
Medically reviewed by A Ras MD.
What is Cetacaine?
Cetacaine is a prescription medicine that is used to numb an area before a procedure. Cetacaine may be given to you for other reasons.
|Cetyl Dimethyl Ethyl Ammonium Bromide||0.005%|
|In a bland, water-soluble base.|
Before taking Cetacaine, tell your doctor:
For all patients taking Cetacaine:
- If you are allergic to Cetacaine; any part of this medicine; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If the patient is a child younger than 2 years of age. Do not give Cetacaine to a child younger than 2 years of age. Do not use Cetacaine for teething.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Cetacaine with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Cetacaine?
For all uses of Cetacaine:
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Cetacaine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use more than what your doctor told you to use. Do not use more often or longer than what you were told. Doing any of these things may raise the chance of very bad side effects.
- Do not use Cetacaine on raw or broken skin. Do not use over large areas of skin without talking with the doctor.
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings, make-up) unless told to do so by the doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Cetacaine is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use Cetacaine with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Cetacaine while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- Do not eat while your mouth feels numb. You may bite your tongue.
How is Cetacaine best taken?
Use Cetacaine as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Your doctor will put on.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- This medicine is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are the side effects of Cetacaine that I need to call my doctor about immediately?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of methemoglobinemia like a blue or gray color of the lips, nails, or skin; a heartbeat that does not feel normal; seizures; very bad dizziness or passing out; very bad headache; feeling very sleepy; feeling tired or weak; or shortness of breath. This effect is rare but may be deadly if it happens.
- Very bad irritation where Cetacaine is used.
- Swelling where Cetacaine is used.
What are some other side effects of Cetacaine?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where Cetacaine is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If overdose is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Cetacaine?
- If you need to store Cetacaine at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
PRINCIPAL DISPLAY PANEL – 20 G BOTTLE BOX
- NDC 10223-0201-3
Item No. 0220
- Topical Anesthetic
- Control Pain
Effective Only on
- Rx only
- Exclusive Spray
(One Cannula Included)
- (Benzocaine 14.0%,
Butamben 2.0%, Tetracaine
Cetylite Industries, Inc.
Pennsauken, NJ 08110-3293
SRC: NLM .